Saturday, July 28, 2012

Olympics have Begun!

Stayed up until 1 am last night watching the Opening Ceremony on TV. Kind of strange at times but overall interesting theme of the history of England. I loved the copper petals from each country all converging into the one Olympic flame. Also loved it when the queen sky-dived out of the helicopter -- yeah right!

This morning we walked down to watch the Men's Road Cycling event that came right through our neighborhood. There were a bunch of police motorcycles and police cars leading the way. There was a helicopter hovering above. Then there was a blur of the front of the pack speeding by. Then a bunch of cars with bikes on them, spares I guess. Then a second pack of cyclists sped by. I took pictures but didn't get a single one with a bicycle in it. That takes skill to completely miss the main subject that you are trying to photograph, right???

Here is what I ended up with:

This volunteer stood on the median to warn the cyclists  to go around.

Here he is waving the flag.
A volunteer told us when the guy started waving the flag that was when the bicycles were coming so have your cameras ready. I guess I snapped the picture a little too early.



Wait, is that a blur of a bike tire? Maybe just a shadow?



Awesome pictures, right? 

Lexi's boyfriend was positioned further up the road and got some good shots so I am stealing these from him:



Much better shots, huh?

Bikes getting a ride

"Served on a golden Cavendish"

Now I keep seeing people on bikes all over town. I wondered if the Olympics are getting people fired up to go out cycling. Then I realized it's probably just an easier way to get around than driving with all the road closures along the race route.



No comments:

Post a Comment