Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Amen and Alleluia

I attended New Year's Eve Mass at a beautiful old church in Saalbach, Austria during our recent ski trip.

I'm not much of a skier so I let hubby and kids do the ski thing while I wandered the village and discovered the quaint church right next to our hotel.  The distinctive custard yellow building with an onion-shaped dome atop its steeple is like the centerpiece of the village. Where ever I walked, I had a view of it.

See the church?
I had stopped in to look at the church earlier in the week and noticed how beautiful it was.  But I was awe-struck when I attended an actual Mass there. Every candle on the altar was lit. Christmas decorations were still up and the Christmas trees were lit. The organ played beautiful music, even some Christmas songs, gotta love the Catholics, they keep Christmas alive until after the New Year.  The church was full of worshippers, even some straight off the ski slopes. The Mass was in German so the only words I recognized were "Amen" and "Alleluia".  I thought right then, what a great title for my next blog!

Balconies and organ at back of church
Church cemetery with Christmas trees on each grave

Church peeking out behind our Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment