Monday, December 20, 2010

Real Troopers do Cheek Kisses

I'm apparently a "real trooper" now.  This honor was bestowed on me for attending a Christmas party with a bunch of Brits that I didn't know.  I can think of worse ways to spend my time.  It was actually quite fun.

A lady that Chris works with in London lives near us.  She had our family over for a yummy summertime British barbecue.  We had them over for our fried turkey American Thanksgiving feast.  Now that we're in the Christmas season we were invited back for "Christmas drinks".  The guests were mostly neighborhood friends, all native Brits except for one other American family who has lived here for 8 years and the wife has acquired a british accent so they don't really count.  We arrived an hour and a half into the party and the "drinks" were definitely already flowing.  Several people introduced themselves, we were offered appetizers including the traditional mince pie, and conversation started flowing as well.  I like the line that one guy said: when English people start drinking, they become more social, more "American".

So we had a good time and as we were leaving, the hostess was impressed that we were able to fit in with the locals, and that's when she said I was a real trooper.
Cheek kiss


One thing I struggle with a little though is the European style of greeting people.  Americans hug, the English do cheek kisses.  See photo (not of me, it's pulled from the internet).  I'm never sure what the protocol is when an American is greeting a local.  And is it one or both cheeks? I usually end up in an awkward half kiss / half lunge.  Oh well, something to work on.

1 comment:

  1. I really didn't now that Brits did the cheek kiss thing. I always thought it was more of a "Continental" thing.

    ReplyDelete