Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day Trip to Weymouth

We took a day trip to the cute harbor town of Weymouth in an area of south England called Dorset. It was about a three hour train journey from our home.

My camera battery died soon after arriving there so I only captured five photos. Thanks to the magic of the internet, here is an image I found showing the picturesque town. It's better than any photo I could have taken anyway.

Weymouth harbor

Weymouth is where the sailing events for the London Olympics were recently held. I couldn't resist posing with the Olympic rings situated right outside the train station.


I loved the quaint buildings on the main street overlooking the beach:


We walked across a bridge that had these lighthouse looking fixtures along the sides:


This plaque caught my eye underneath one of the lighthouses:


It's amazing how many cities in New England share names with cities from the "old country".

Another sign caught my eye. At first glance I thought it said Russells Yacht Chandeliers. A shop just for selling chandeliers for boats? Talk about a specialty shop. Ah, but my eyes deceive me, it's Chandlers, dealers of various equipment and supplies for boats. 


Also, it's Bussells, not Russells. But how perfect, my maiden name is Bus.

We saw such a variety of scenes in Weymouth as we walked through the town. There was a sandy beach, a harbor, all kinds of boats, a pier, a tower with a rotating platform that ascends to the top, carnival rides, an open plaza surrounded by cafes with live music and people dancing in the street. There were families going crabbing along the harbor walls.

We climbed a hill with an old fort on top and saw the area on the hillside where the spectators sat during the Olympics to watch the sailing event. This side of the town was peaceful with a beautiful view over the English Channel.

It just figures that I would have a dead camera with all the sights to see. Then again, maybe that's why I noticed so many details. I could just relax and take it all in and not worry about what to take pictures of.



No comments:

Post a Comment