Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Autumn Color... For Free!

Painshill Park, Cobham

Today I spent a total of 4 hours driving in the car. Not all at one time, just many trips here and there: taking Lexi to school, picking her up, driving a friend to the hospital with a badly sprained ankle, then back and forth to soccer training. I had plenty of time to add up the hours as I sat in traffic.


In between all that driving, I took advantage of the beautiful sunny Autumn day we had today. I headed to nearby Painshill Park for a nice hike through the colorful trees. This time of year the days can be dark and dreary. On a day when we are blessed with sunshine, it's practically a sin to be inside. The choice of Painshill Park was perfect, lots of color to brighten my mood, hilly paths to get my heart rate up and stress level down, and on top of that, it was free today. It is normally 6 pounds (about $9) to enter, but Wednesdays in November there is no admission fee.


You may wonder why there is a charge to go into a park, but this is a historic 18th century English landscape park. The entrance fee goes towards the restoration of the historical features of the park. Many of the trees and shrubs were sent from Philadelphia between 1738 and 1773. The park was visited by Thomas Jefferson and John Adams. You gotta love the American connection!

The Gothic Temple

Now I'll be quiet and let you enjoy some of the magnificent scenery I was fortunate enough to partake in today (when I wasn't on the road!)
















No comments:

Post a Comment